Thursday, 24 April 2014

Boucle pencil skirt

Last week I finished making this pencil skirt. It is made from a boucle fabric, which I bought around Christmas time. I have lined the skirt with muslin, as I do with many of the garments I make. The boucle fabric is the perfect kind for a skirt such as this one, it is the perfect thickness and had a bit of stability to it which holds the shape well.
 
The pattern I used to make this came from The Great British Sewing Bee second series book. It is the best sewing book for garments that I have ever found and the only one I own. I have a bit of a problem with many of the garment sewing books out there, I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but in many books I wouldn't make a single garment out of them. I think the best thing you can have from a sewing book is patterns for modern yet classic designs that don't have a load of frills. This way you can add parts to make the garments your own or you can choose to make classic items you will wear for years. Also I have found that a large majority of sewing books are aimed at curvy women and all the patterns are suited to that body shape alone. This is why The Great British Sewing Bee book is so brilliant, the patterns will suit a wide variety of body shapes (there is also a big focus on getting the perfect fit) and are unfussy with that crucial modern classic look. Plus, the patterns are graded from UK sizes 8 to 18.
 
This pencil skirt features four darts at the front and the back, which as it says in the book makes it easier to adjust the size and shape. It has an invisible zip at the back as well as a kick pleat. Instead of a waistband there are facings at the front and back of the skirt which turn under the raw edges and give a lovely clean finish. I shortened the pattern slightly for this skirt, probably by about 5cm. I have just started making another pencil skirt to the full length of the original pattern which is about knee length. I have my eyes on so many of the patterns in the book, and my fabric stash is becoming way too big, so I'll be kept busy for a long time.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment