Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Embroidered cushion

The best friend I've ever had (and regular reader of Handmade by Hannah!) is going away to university at the end of this month. I couldn't have let her go without giving her something to brighten up her uni room, so I decided to make her this cushion.
 
Hand embroidery is one of my favourite things to do so I chose to embroider a design onto the front of the cushion. Her name is Alice so I added a large 'A' using a design from Alicia Paulson's Embroidery Companion which I modified slightly by making the letter less busy. The birds with the leaves above and below the 'A' came from a book called A Rainbow of Stitches. In the middle of the leaves there was a heart but I changed this to a pair of glasses as she is studying optometry at uni. Plus who doesn't love a good pair of round framed glasses! I backed the cushion with some polka dot fabric and added a 'Handmade with love' label because I always like to add a little finishing touch. I hope it will make her new room feel more homely.





No comments:

Post a Comment