Monday, 3 September 2012

Crocheted Infinity Scarf Tutorial

I saw this lovely chevron crochet stitch in Handbook of Crochet Stitches by Betty Barnden. I thought it would make a lovely scarf. So obviously I can't share the instructions for the chevron stitch because I didn't write it myself, but I wanted to write a tutorial for you to make another infinity scarf. This time it's thicker than the last one because its crocheted and lined as well so it will keep you cosy on really chilly days. You can probably find a similar stitch to the one I used or you can buy the book or use a different stitch to create the scarf, so here is how I made it...
 
You will need:
  •  Several balls of yarn in different colours, the amount of different colours depends on the stitch you are using and how many colours you would like to use. I used four different colours of yarn.
  • A crochet hook in the appropriate size for the yarn you are using.
  • Half a metre of fabric to line scarf, I used a natural cotton.
  • Sewing machine (optional).
  • Sewing thread.
  • A normal sized needle for sewing thread and a larger needle for the yarn. 
  • Pins.
  • Fabric scissors.
  • Small embroidery scissors.
 
Following the pattern for the stitch you have chosen crochet a long rectangle to your desired length and width. You can measure how long you want your scarf by occasionally wrapping the crochet around your neck. Weave in all the loose ends of yarn.
 
Cut your lining fabric to the same size as your crochet and pin the lining and crochet together with the right sides facing. Sew the longer sides of the crochet together using a sewing machine (or by hand). If you are using a sewing machine I would recommend using a longer stitch such as 3.5 instead of the standard 2.5 setting. 

Turn the scarf the right way round.

 
Then, using sewing thread sew the two ends of the crochet together. If you are using a chevron stitch like I have then the two ends will fit together nicely, I joined my crochet between the cream and light pink yarn.


Sew the lining fabric together using an invisible seam stitch.

Your scarf is now complete! The possibilities are endless, you could create so many using lots of different stitches and colours of yarn, how about a using a lovely lacy stitch? You'll never need to buy another scarf again! I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and enjoy wearing your scarf!


2 comments: